Pan Seared Salmon with Lemon Butter Caper Sauce

Pan Seared Salmon with Lemon Butter Caper Sauce

Too Hot to Grill - Just Pan Sear!


It has really been a scorcher these last couple of weeks here in Texas. With the heat index, it has been consistently up in the 100's, way too hot to grill outside even in the evenings. Salmon is great on the grill, but lately we've been choosing to hang out in our air-conditioned kitchen rather than swoon in front of the pit.



On the up side of summer in Texas, some of the vegetables are really beginning to look good. I chose yellow squash, mushrooms, red onion, and fresh cherry tomatoes (from my very own tomato plants) for the side. Drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle with a little Lawry's seasoning salt, and roast in a 425 oven until they are to your liking. I like a little crunch, actually a lot of crunch.



What you'll need:

2 salmon filets
olive oil
butter
lemon
capers


Drizzle olive oil in a skillet and heat to medium/high. I used a heavy, non-stick pan because I was afriad that it would stick and turn into a big mess. When the skillet is hot, add the salmon filets (skin side down ) and cook until you can see the fish begin to turn opaque. I like to let the line get at least to the center of the fish before I flip because I like mine opaque throughout. If you like it not so thoroughly cooked, flip earlier. The second side doesn't take long at all.


Remove the fish. Adjust the heat to low (or off for an electric cooktop), and add the butter, lemon, and capers to taste. I didn't put any seasoning on the fish before it was cooked, knowing that the capers would add enough salt for us. Pour the sauce over the fish and serve with your choice of roasted vegetables.




Note: I have since learned that the preferred method to cook pan seared salmon is to cook the presentation side first. I'll try that next time.